Cyle and I have taken on a new business venture that has been so fun so far- we’ve started to build furniture and home decor, and refinish furniture!
So far we’ve only had a few clients and done a handful of projects, but our first client brought us a beautiful antique mail sorter from the 1950s that was in desperate need of a revival!
This piece came to me covered in a thick layer of green poly and some pink scratched and chipping paint. After four days of sanding and stripping I was able to get down to the wood on the entire piece. The paint and poly were so stubborn on this that after three attempts of using paint stripper I got no where and had to sand down all of the paint and poly- it was exhausting, but so worth it. 🙂
(after sanding down a lot of the poly on the top)
Due to it’s age, this piece had some damage to the wood which caused discoloration and also caused some uneven color when the piece was completely bare. I thought that when I stained it it would help even it out, but I had to do some tweaking and use three different shades of stain on various spots on the piece. I was able to reverse the look of most of the damage with different colors of stain.
(after one coat of stain. This was before I used various stains to even out the discoloration)
While restoring this piece I was sure to keep the integrity of it by keeping the original nameplates on the back as well as the original writing on top.
When I stained the piece I used a stain that only enhanced the look of the wood, and matched the darkest piece of wood (there were multiple types of wood used on this piece) so it all came out even. When I was finished evening out the colors of wood I did a very light sanding and did three coats of satin polyurethane.
To keep the lettering on the top I had to hand sand around all of the letters, but I was not able to get all of the green colored poly off from around them. The above photo shows it more prominent than it appears in real life. But when working with old pieces, nothing ever comes out perfect!
Overall, this was a labor of love- one entire week of work, with about five hours a day of elbow grease. It was all worth it when our client came and picked it up and was so excited to see it!
Also, apologies for only having pictures of the front and right side of the piece. I had trouble getting photos of the other side because it was right next to the garage door, and I accidentally forgot to take new photos of the back before they picked it up!