Ever since we moved into our house a few years ago I’ve been dying to redo our kitchen. Besides the obvious lack of cabinet and counter space (thank goodness for our giant pantry) the color scheme was hideous. Black cabinets (that were already chipping and peeling), taupe tile with dark purple grout (that I painted dark brown for a primitive look, then hated quickly and changed to white), and this weird off white countertop (which I tried to refinish but our choice in product did not work well).
This is what our kitchen looked like when we bought it. Yeah, literally ANYTHING was an improvement
I kept putting off doing much of any work because we have been saying “next year we will gut the kitchen and expand it”… and year after year we keep repeating that. Finally, I had enough of it and decided to just do SOMETHING to the kitchen, especially since we just had the living room and bathroom updated.
So a few weeks ago, shortly after I just got done living in the midst of a giant remodel of our living room for 3 ½ weeks, I decided to tear the kitchen apart.
Because I’m crazy and enjoy torturing myself.
In the long run we want open shelving along the top of the kitchen, but without a lot of space to hide our pots, pans, and to-go containers, we only took down one cabinet.
It may look smaller in this photo. But that hole was the size of my open hand. Also, be sure to do all of your dishes before ripping apart your kitchen. It’s not fun scrubbing off drywall dust and drywall putty off your nice new plates.
Besides the fact that taking down that one cabinet took way too long (that thing was IN the wall) we found a giant hole in the wall where the prior owners busted a hand sized hole to run a cable for the kitchen sink light.
That just made the entire “open shelving” concept a bit more fun to figure out.
We had a few option to fix that. One was to cut our a square piece of drywall from the wall and put a new piece in. The other option was for me to get a giant mesh drywall patch and patch over the hole and just be sure to not put much weight or pressure on it like, ever.
Since this was just supposed to be a weekend project, guess which one I did? 😉
Since the hole was going to be partially behind and below our shelves I wasn’t worried about us ever poking through the wall.
And since next year might be the year that we actually remodel the kitchen, we will ACTUALLY fix the wall.
The shelves were insanely easy. We bough some 1×10’ boards, cut to size, and laid them on top of some 1” iron piping we attached to the wall using flange fittings, and then capped off.
Under the chalkboard wall I grabbed a 2″x2″ board and liquid nailed it to the wall after staining it to match the cabinets. The brick was never put on evenly, so I wanted to create a cleaner line across the wall.
For the cabinets I mixed a medium grey and a bright white satin to achieve the light grey color (leftover paint from our bathroom and trim that I mixed together).I took all of the doors off, sanded them down really well, and did about two or three coats with touch ups.
For a really great tutorial on painting cabinets- click here- it’s how I did mine (but they didn’t turn out nearly as perfect!)
For now we are leaving the countertops as is. Last summer we coated them with some medium grey countertop paint, but it didn’t go well. After a few days it started chipping off and now it’s a mess. I’m not sure what we are going to do with them until we fully remodel the kitchen, let me know in the comments what you think would look good!